6/18/09

Achilles and the Tortoise

A few days have passed since I watched Achilles and the Tortoise (2008) but I still think about its meaning and what the director Kitano Takeshi is trying to say. The film’s images lingered with me and I would wake up and jot down my thoughts on the film in the middle of the night. To me, that’s an indicator of a good movie.

Achilles and the Tortoise is the third installment in this Japanese director’s self-referential trilogy about creativity. I haven’t seen the first two of the trilogy – Takeshi’s (2005) and Glory to the Filmmaker (2007) – which received mediocre responses from critics, but I still anticipate watching them as a fan of Kitano's deadpan and often bizarre sense of humor.

The film starts with a short animation that describes the “Achilles and the Tortoise” paradox by an ancient Greek philosopher, Zeno, in the form of a “kōan” that consists of a series of questions and answers between a Zen master and his student to resolve a riddle or a paradox. In this paradox, a fast runner named Achilles runs a race with a tortoise, in which he allows the tortoise to start nine meters ahead of him. With contrary to our rational thinking, however, this paradox suggests that Achilles can never overtake the tortoise since the pursuer will always have to reach the point where the pursued has already been. Thus, the race goes on indefinitely while the slow tortoise will always be one step ahead of Achilles.

After this short animated sequence, the film follows Machisu Kuramochi’s life-long and unsuccessful quest for art and fame spanning from his childhood to the days of his youth and to his middle-age years. The director Kitano Takeshi himself stars as the aging artist and two other actors play Machisu as a child and as a young man. Kitano also painted all the artwork featured in the film. In this fable-like story, it is pretty obvious that Machisu is the Achilles trying to catch up with talented and revered artists before him such as Picasso, Mondrian, Miro, and Basquiat. He wants to become rich and famous and to be accepted by the art world but he seems to constantly miss the mark. His obsession with art and fame only leads to a poor and ridiculed life. However unappreciated his paintings may be, Machisu has a loving and loyal wife, Sachiko, who stands by him. Sachiko makes a living during the day so that her husband can focus on his art and devotes herself to helping him paint by night.

Throughout my viewing, I couldn’t help but wonder, “aren’t we all in a constant state of running trying to overtake the “tortoise”?” Whatever that “tortoise” means for each individual, we all desperately pursue something abstract that seems to run a little farther away as we make progress in our lives. In the process, we get frustrated, we are criticized, we lose our running mates, our friends and family members die, relationships fall apart, and yet the race continues.

Kitano paints (pun intended) his film with sad and gloomy stories about a failed artist to the point where this artist’s quest becomes morbid. The film then ends rather abruptly when Machisu’s wife, who has left him after finding his insane quest unbearable, returns to him and takes him home. And then a brief yet hopeful title appears on the screen: “And so Achilles did catch up with the tortoise.” Huh? Is this another paradox or a riddle, Master Kitano? So, all I have to do is find someone who understands my passion or even my obsession? Someone who accepts me as who I am? Not that I think it’s easy to find that person. But what about the tortoise? The tortoise I am chasing is just an illusion?

I have come to a conclusion that Achilles and the Tortoise is a film about “perception” – that is, the perception of art or the perception of what is perceived as art, the perception of creativity, the perception of success, the perception of the tortoise, etc. I’m struck by the notion that I may never reach an understanding of what a particular film is truly about. I guess I have to keep running and chasing in the hope that I will resolve this kōan by Kitano someday.

Postscript: Where did all the paintings go? I would like to buy one, particularly “Black Continent.”

JaeYoon Park © 2009

3 comments:

  1. Finally, this movie is going to screen in Taiwan! But only in Taipei... Hopefully I get to watch it soon with all these background information received! Miss you!(too personal?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to writing reviews of your films. When will your first feature film be coming out? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm left quite unsettled by this movie, which with its silent pathos and recurring motifs creates a morbidly humorous study of a failing artists life.

    I felt the movie was about obsession as much as it was about perception. I wonder what is the significance of the empty can that Machisu kicks away in the last shot ... has he given up on his art?

    You are right, this is a movie that will have multiple meanings and come back to haunt its viewers.

    Seema Misra
    http://lalalandandreellife.blogspot.in/
    http://www.blogarticlesonline.com/

    ReplyDelete